Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I really can't handle my liquor

It happened again. I didn't faint this time, but I got sick after 2 drinks. How lame am I? When I tell my friends this story, I said it was after 4 drinks, but between you and me, it was 2 :-(

Shigeki was in town Sunday, so we met up late when he was finished with his work assignment. We met last summer when I was in Tokyo and had a nice time, so I was happy that he agreed to meet up, even though he had flown in from Japan that day, went to work, and had an early flight the next morning. Anyway, a late dinner at Yokocho started the evening. I felt a little silly bringing someone who just flew in from Tokyo to a mediocre izakaya, but on Sunday night past 11 PM, there aren't a huge number of options of places open other than diners. Hopefully he found it interesting, despite the annoyingly loud super trendy Japanese early 20s kids sitting near us. But, we made fun of them behind their backs and had a laugh. :-)

I only had one beer with the meal. One. Not 5. Not 3. One. I figured the divey but diverse Phoenix bar on East 13th Street could be fun, so we headed there. It was Pride night, but it wasn't that full. I guess everyone else was in the West Village and Chelsea, and from talking to Shigeki, I didn't feel like it was really his scene. Nor is Chelsea mine. Don't get me wrong, there's a few places there I like, but I didn't want to go and be judged by guys in lycra tops with muscles but no personality. We talked and I had a gin and tonic. Granted it was a strong G&T, but I drank it and we headed to 7A. I was feeling slightly hungry, and was planning on ordering breakfast. The conversation was nice, as Shigeki is quite wordly and easy to talk to. Long story short, I ended up heading to the restroom thinking I was going to puke. I wasn't drunk in the slightest, just not feeling well at this point. It was a false alarm, I couldn't throw up and returned to the table. About 5 Minutes later, I realized I was going to be sick- and slightly before this, I mentioned I didn't feel well. The next time I went to the restroom was no false alarm. Ewwww.

Washing of hands and rinsing my mouth in their filthy sink in their filthy restroom, I did feel better. Not great, but better, and returned to the table sweating profusely. I sort of had to lean to my side with my head on the glass window, and apologized to Shigeki. Each minute I felt a little better, and after about 20 minutes of leaning to my side and sipping water, I felt 100% fine. We talked some more and people watched- the light rain coating the dirty side walks, the charming yet run down East Village buildings made a good background to the interesting conversation. I was, of course, embarrassed in getting ill after 2 drinks while showing someone from out of town around, but it could have been worse. It didn't last too long, I got over it, and we were able to keep talking as opposed to me having to pass out in a cab. Thanks for the company, Shigeki. Next time I won't mix beer and cocktails, or won't drink at all ;-)